Publish or Perish is a software program that retrieves and analyzes academic citations. It uses Google Scholar to obtain the raw citations, then analyzes these and presents the following statistics:
• Total number of papers
• Total number of citations
• Average number of citations per paper
• Average number of citations per author
• Average number of papers per author
• Average number of citations per year
• Hirsch's h-index and related parameters
• The contemporary h-index
• Two variations of individual h-indices
• An analysis of the number of authors per paper.
Publish or Perish (PoP) is designed to empower academics to present their own research impact to advantage. Each discipline or research field has different publication patterns and arguably the established citation indexes Web of Science and Scopus comprehensively harvest bibliometic information from science, technology and medicine. However Publish or Perish does offer researchers another option to calculate research performance using Google Scholar data.
The Publish or Perish website has a variety of interesting papers and reports about citation and bibliometrics. PoP is free to download from the site.