Wednesday, March 28, 2012
Papers belonging to Dr. Emily Winifred Dickson, the first female Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland (RCSI) have been donated to the College by her family. The papers which include certificates, medals, testimonials, correspondence and photographs dating from the 1880s-1920s were donated by Dr EW Dickson's grandson Dr. Niall Martin to Prof. Eilis McGovern, RCSI President. The papers will be catalogued in the RCSI Library and will be made available to researchers and for display in due course. See further details on the RCSI website.
Tuesday, March 6, 2012
The PubMed interface changed quite a bit in 2011 and both the main tutorials and the Quick Tours have been updated.
• PubMed's scope and content.
• Understand how the MeSH vocabulary is used to describe and retrieve citations.
• Build a search using MeSH and PubMed tools (Details, Limits, History, Search Builder.)
• Manage results: display, sort, the Clipboard, save, print, e-mail and My NCBI filters.
• Save your search strategies.
• Link to full-text articles and other resources.
• Use special queries and other PubMed/NCBI tools.
Monday, March 5, 2012
The US Medical Heritage Library Project is a cooperative venture to digitize historical materials from the collections of the National Library of Medicine, the Countway Library at Harvard, the Harvey Cushing/John Hay Whitney Library at Yale, the Augustus C. Long Health Sciences Library at Columbia University, and the New York Public Library.
The goal of the project is to digitize books and journals that document the evolution of American medicine from 17th century colonial medicine to 20th century research hospitals. The whole of NLM's contribution of over 6,000 books will be available through NLM's Digital Collections repository.